15 December, 2009

I've been SCAMMED!

Ok, so those of you who know me really well are probably not too surprised by the title of this post. I tend to get taken advantage of quite a bit my the many fraudulent companies that pollute this world. I am starting to come to my senses though and it doesn't happen quite as often. However, I will have you know that this latest swindle could not have been prevented and I am writing about it so everyone out there is aware that it could just as easily happen to them.

Two days ago I was on my computer checking out Facebook when suddenly the Internet closed and up popped a window labeled Security Tool. It claimed that it had scanned my computer and found 45 viruses. Do not fall for this! Security Tool is a virus that infects your computer the minute it pops up onto your screen and can associate itself with ANY site. I couldn't get rid of the pop ups, they kept coming back. It said that I had to purchase their anti-virus software in order to get rid of these viruses. I tried to look up Security Tool on the Internet to see if they had a free version,  but everytime I tried to search the web Security Tool would tell me that Internet Explorer had been contaminated and would close the window. I started to panic and tried to quickly back up my files for fear of my computer crashing, but I got the same result. All of my personal files were said to have been contaminated. All of the icons on my desktop had also disappeared. I restarted my computer only to still find this stupid virus with it's pop ups. I couldn't take any action but to buy the anti-virus software. So I punched in my debit card information. Once my card was approved all of the pop-ups went away and my computer went back to normal. No software was downloaded to my computer. I quickly checked my online banking and low and behold $49.95 had been pulled out of my account!

So, to make a long story short. I googled Security Tool and found this website: www.2-spyware.com/remove-security-tool.html. It tells you all about this stinkin virus, what the pop-ups look like and how to get rid of it. Good luck and beware!

1 comment:

  1. oh lacy!! that's a bummer, thanks for the heads up though!!

    ReplyDelete